Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Uncle Jon's Guitar

 This is the guitar that started it all for Your Humble Blogger - my Uncle Jon's 1962 Hermilio Salinas.  Read on and see a few pics!
















 I've written a good deal on this blog on music and instruments that influenced me as a fledgling player. Now I'm down to bedrock.
   The very first guitarist I ever heard live was my Uncle Jon, and I remember being wowed by the experience. I guess I'd heard plenty of pianos played, so those had little effect on me. But there was just something riviting about the guitar. Those were the days of the 60s folk movement, and I loved hearing Jon rip through versions of Sonny, Frankie and Johnie, or Stagger Lee. I knew then that I wanted to be a guitar player. I had to learn to do this! (Years later my first guitar was a hand-me-down folk guitar Jon had selected for my Dad to buy for my sister.)
   The guitar he was playing was pretty special. It was a hand made nylon stringed Mexican guitar that he'd bought from a physican who'd picked it up on vaction in Mexico City. Built by Herminio Salinas e Hijos of Mexico City in 1962 , it was always a huge treat for me to get to play after I began to build some chops.
   Well, he still has the guitar, and recently he did a little internet research and came up with a bit of information on the builder. Senor Salinas built guitars in Mexico City from 1900 until his death in 1968. His son Mario took up the profession upon his fathers death and continued in business until he died in 1996.
    I had the opportunity recently to visit Uncle Jon and take a few shots of the old guitar. It's quite the mello instrument after 48 yrs of aging. I'll be trying to research this maker and bring more information as I get it. In the meantime here are a few photos. If any reader should stumble upon this post with additional info, please feel free to email me or comment. Gracias! Adios, mis amigos!

(here are a couple of video embeds before the pics. First is Your Humble Blogger, the second is Jon himself.)












12 comments:

  1. I have a 1967 Herminio Salinas guitar - very plain - looks like less fancy wood than yours. And I really love it! it sold me on classical guitar too. Thanks for your blog here,.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Martha. I'm lovin' that you're lovin' your Salinas. The classical style is something I've always wanted to develop but never got around to devoting myself to. I love it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a colection, great guitars
    I own 3 herminio, mario the son and the granson
    Mario Salinas made one for me is better sound than any thing I have own
    thank you for the comments and photos
    Luis Mejia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do own a 1963 Herminio Salinas "señorita" guitar(64.5cmm scale), flamenco model and the basses on this thing are superb. The total balance across the all fretboard is extremely even,no a slight lowering of tone on the upper notes wich is something very hard to find on any instrument and the sweet,vivacious tone of it is charming,and lyrical.
    I guess 45+ years of use have a lot todo with its voice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear that you all enjoy the sound of the Salinas guitars! You all really own jewels. I wish I had one guitar from each of the makers.If any one is interested in selling any please let me know. I don't know how this blog works but I bet I can figure it out. I am really interested in acquiring at least one made from one of the Salinas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 1980 Mario Salinas requinto for sale.


      Delete
    2. Good evening. I have a Mario Salinas guitar for sale, are you still interested?

      Delete
  6. Hello, I have two Mario Salinas classical guitars currently on sale. Both date from 1983, one is completely new and the other one has minimal use. Please share your contact details if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested in the Mario Salinas , send pictures to avaz2@verizon.net

      Delete
  7. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. eastman trumpet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. musicandyou

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. music therapy florida

    ReplyDelete